Ambassador Liu
  Video & Audio
  Former Ambassadors
China-UK Relations
  Political Exchanges
  Economy & Trade
  Science & Tech
  Local Exchanges
Embassy Information
  Embassy Events
  Tour the Embassy
  Office Hours and Address
  Economic and Commercial Counsellor’s Office
  Education Section
Consulate-General in the UK

Chinese Embassy in UK WeChat

Chinese Embassy in UK
Home > Consular Service > Legalization
6. FAQs and answers


1) Has China joined the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents?


China has not joined this convention yet, but it is applicable to Hong Kong SAR and Macao SAR.


2) Is the Chinese embassy or consulate responsible for the authenticity of the contents of the document to legalize?


No. The Chinese embassy or consulate is only responsible for the authenticity of the signature of the officer of FCO or the stamp of the authorised department. The document issuing party should be responsible for the contents of the document. If the contents of a document to be legalized are against Chinese laws and regulations, the Chinese embassy or consulate will refuse to undertake legalizations for it.


3) What is the validity period of a document?


A Single Status Certificate must be legalized at FCO and the Chinese embassy or consulate, within the three months after the notarisation. Notary certificates, to be used in China, regarding a person's marital status, health, property, income and non-criminal record, for the purpose of adoption in China, need to be obtained at FCO, the Chinese embassy or consulate within six months after notarisation.


4) Does the Chinese embassy or consulate accept legalization applications via post?


Due to safety reasons, we do not accept postal applications. However, you may entrust someone else to submit applications on your behalf.


All rights of explanation of the above contents are reserved to the Chinese embassy and consulates.

Suggest to a Friend
Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland All Rights Reserved